About

One day I woke up and realized age is catching up with me. Though that doesn't fret me, the scrapping of dreams that comes with aging does. So I've decided to give myself a gift for my 30th birthday in November 2009. And I thought of a most delightful thing I could ever give myself. A novel. Written by me. For me.

Or the first draft of a novel, anyway. For years I have wanted to write a book but never got to starting. I know if I don't do something about it now I might never do it. I don't want to wait another thirty years before I start. So I shall pace myself to finish the first draft of a 50,000-word novel by my 30th. Why 50,000? Mainly because that's the word goal appointed every year by NaNoWriMo, from whom I've borrowed the idea of keeping the pen moving - and it's a highly achievable figure, especially after I've stretched the idea of writing so many words in one month to five and a half months.

And I've worked out the maths. From May 25th to my next birthday I have 167 days to fulfill the word-quota. That's approximately 300 words per day. Compared to the daunting timeframe of NaNoWriMo that's a breeze!

A note to my visitors: This blog might contain some of the most boring read you'll ever come across. They are meant to document for myself the 167-day process of fulfilling a lifelong dream. I guess I could have kept this journal private but the notion that they are made public gives me some level of accountability and maybe one more reason to press on. Details of the actual writings and plot specifics are not recorded herein for two interlocking reasons: a writer's hope of the final manuscript being one day published and the preservation of his readers' gratification from reading the final work as the only access to the story now in development.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Novel Day -158 (5,090 words)

Novel Day -156 (6,000 words)