The past two days' work has been pretty stable, cranking out more or less the average word count of 300 each ( 310 + 280 ). N-Day minus 164 saw a minor character's portrait forming. Whereas today's work was more of a Frankenstein's stitch, sewing together character journey and parenthesized notes to self into one clumsy, runic chunk of writing. Evoked a poem I wrote to help define the story's theme. The finer details of the story have yet to emerge, which worries me. I can't keep writing and rewriting the structure forever. Some sort of deadline for outlining has to be put in place (and soon) to jolt the creative process. Qualitatively I know the story I want to write. Unfortunately the MCs are little more than two-dimensional portraits that are not mature enough to elicit a finer plot.
Can't say that the writing that came after identifying the protagonist was refreshing. Standard plot possibilities sprung naturally from the character including a few promising scenes, but nothing too exciting. No spine. I think that's what the story is still lacking. A specific action that weaves through and unifies the story. I'm still identifying the story on a macro level and though I know what the hero must do in this story, I haven't found out why exactly. Saying that defies what Mamet taught about backstory. Am I too timid to fight against Hollywood orthodoxy? 590 and 320 words in the last two days. So far 2.5 times more productive than planned.
Delved into MC's POV on N Days -155 and -154. Most of what was retrieved was iterations of previous revelations. Reaped more good stuff today though. Might be because I raised specific questions today to guide the writing. Liked the way new information materialized. Never could have consciously thought of this solution for the premise. Also worked on a one-sentence synopsis of the story, which fits perfectly into the current controlling idea. Perfectly might not mean the only fit. No don't go there. This fit is just fine. 300 , 510 , and 310 words respectively for the past three days.
Comments
Post a Comment